Thursday, August 11, 2011

Becca's Burial

The line was endless it seemed. I think everyone went to the burial ceremony which I don't think happens very much.

I don't know how the tradition started, but the lights and blinkers were on and flashing and even the traffic going the opposite direction pulled over to a stop and many turned on their lights as well. It was strangely comforting to me that complete strangers would be so kind to show their respect for our loss.
We even saw a semi truck pull over. I'm sure they waited a long time for us all to pass because that was one long line!



Becca's body was put to rest near her family's home out in the country near her grandpa's grave. The cemetary is super close to her family's home for which I'm thankful so the girls can visit as often as they like.



Like I said, I think everyone came to the graveside ceremony as well. It was packed. We prayed together and Pastor Pat shared a few words for the family. I think we sang something. My mind was a blur a bit at this point.


This was it. This was goodbye.

Goodbye for now that is.


Pastor Pat dismissed everyone but family, so they could have their own special time together.
Becca's mom glanced back and asked if we would stay. Thank-you for that. That was unexpected and we were all touched by your kindness in sharing those next precious minutes.




Becca's girls let two red rose balloons go up, up in the air. I'd link to think their mama caught them. We watched those two balloons get tinier and tinier. I don't know what the symbolism is exactly, but I think it is a sweet way for children to "let go" of their loved ones.





Bye-Bye balloons.








Pray for these two precious girls would you? Karis seems to be holding this weight on her shoulders with all the responsibilty of a mature adult and Gabi is only 3. I'm sure they both miss their mama as their reality has begun to set in I'm sure. And pray for their Daddy who is now both Mommy and Daddy. Can't even imagine...











Gabi began to cry and whimper off and on for her mommy.
I can't even type what she said. It's too hard.












We sang "Amazing Grace" and "Great is Thy Faithfulness." ~ Becca's favorite...












I've never seen this before, but each family member beginning with Dustin threw a shovel full of dirt on her coffin. I think it took that man 5 minutes to be able to do it. I think Jared's heart broke right then and there. Next, the girls, each with their own mini shovel. Then Becca's mom and dad followed by her sisters. It was beyond moving and I felt so blessed to be able to be a part of such an intimate time.


Allison, Anna, and I each dropped a yellow rose into her grave symbolizong our friendships, and then together dropped a white rose symbolizing her own state of perfection now at the feet of Jesus. It was beautiful and heart wrenching.



















Becca's parents, Brian and Kristy




















Becca's Grandma, Ivy

What a strong woman!















































Becca's sister, Faith























1 comment:

Andy and Jennifer said...

How very sad and beautiful. Through your sharing it has been so evident how special Becca was to so many people and how very precious your friendship was to her. It has also been so very clear that you and her family do not grieve without hope...hope that you will meet again, perfect and whole, at the feet of the Giver of Life. Love you...